Balancing "Burnout" and showing up for your kid


 I only have one, energetically charged, toddler. I don't know how others do it with more than one (props to you!) Trying to balance a full time career, and raise a toddler has definitely been trying. While trying to keep my own peace of mind, everything- as you can imagine- has been chaos. Struggling with my mental health, I have been taking it day by day. Everyday, I try to make one decision that will benefit me. Whether that means making my lunch ahead the night before, making my own coffee at home, or 10 minutes of a HIIT routine. Ever since my postpartum days, it was always in my plan to walk everyday with my newborn. However, I never found it in me to do this as a routine. The days we did go out for a walk, she loved it. To this day, she still loves going for walks. 

One day, she was continually expressing her desire to go for a walk to the playground. I was feeling fatigued- not really up for it. Usually, I would tell her if I'm tired, but I felt like not letting her down today. I rarely get these moments with her now, and I want to give her joy. I threw on my jacket, got her ready, and just took a plunge outdoors. I am always aware of the benefits: A brisk walk equals exercise. 10 minutes in natural daylight equals vitamin D exposure, and improves deeper sleep at night. I always know, but I never take the plunge. We live so close to the playground. A quick walk over there, and we did about 20 minutes of play. We were back home in 30 minutes. I, myself, was surprised. That quick 30 minute excursion meant the world to her. She was able to have some one on one time with her mom, that involved free play. Play time is so encouraging for children. They not only learn developmental skills, but it helps them build neural pathways. 

After this 30 minute adventure, it inspired me to be more present. It only takes 10 minutes is what I tell myself. It will end up being 20 to 30 minutes in the long run. So, today after her playschool, I decided to take her to a nearby park. This spontaneous decision enabled her to play an extra 30 minutes outdoors. 

I hope that I can continue to create these memories with her. I enjoy every bit of it!








3/8/23

Comments

Popular Posts